How to Maintain the Longevity of your Wig
STEP 1: PREPARE
- Gently brush your hair system with a wide-tooth comb or brush starting at the ends working your way slowly up the hair shaft to the root area before getting your hair wet.
STEP 2: WASH
- Human Hair: Gently mix 2 capfuls of Diva Divine Shampoo in warm water until sudsy.
- Synthetic: Gently mix 2 capfuls of Diva Divine Shampoo in cool water until sudsy.
STEP 3: SWISH
- To decrease matting, DO NOT drop wig into the water or rub/twist the hair. Hold the wig gently and swish it back and forth in water so the hair doesn’t tangle or knot.
STEP 4: RINSE
- Use cool water (for synthetic) or warm water (for human hair). Hold wig and swish hair repeatedly until the product is completely rinsed. Use a towel to blot hair dry. Do not rub, brush or comb.
STEP 5: CONDITION
- Human Hair: Place wig on a towel. Apply Diva Divine Conditioner to ends with wide-tooth comb, continuing up the hair shaft to within 2” of the scalp. Rinse repeatedly until conditioner is rinsed completely. CAUTION: Too much conditioner on root area may make knots slip.
- Synthetic: Place wig on Styrofoam head and spray 2-4 pumps of Diva Divine Leave-In Spray Conditioner (do not rinse) and let air dry naturally.
STEP 6: DRY
- Towel blot dry hair (do not wring or twist). Place wig on Styrofoam head provided. Be sure to position the wig so it is level on the head to ensure the correct part placement (left or right). Part hair in the direction you would like to wear the hair when wig is dry. Let air dry to maintain the soft touch and shine.
STEP 7: STYLE
- Human Hair: Once hair is thoroughly dry, use Diva Divine Thermal Spray to protect the hair from heat (blow dryer, flat, or curling iron) and style it just like your own hair. You can apply desired hair products, wig shines, hair sprays, and gels, but remember: Less is more.
- Synthetic Hair: DO NOT USE HEAT TO STYLE OR IT WILL MELT! Once washed properly, it will bounce back to its original shape and texture. Apply desired Diva Divine hair products, wig shines, hair sprays, and gels, but remember: Less is more.
- Heat Resistant Synthetic Hair: Clean and condition as you would synthetic. Use Diva Divine Heat Treatment Spray to protect wig prior to using flat iron or curling iron. Use Diva Divine Leave-In Spray Conditioner daily with a wide-tooth comb from the bottom up. Do not pull hard on knotted hair. Styling tool must NOT BE HOTTER than 250 degrees.
STEP 8: PUTTING WIG ON SECURELY
- Wig Cap: Wig cap or net can be worn with or without hair to create smooth surface before putting wig on.
- Wig Grip: Put wig grip on like a headband with label inside and on left. Apply band over your ears, then pop them out to insure the grip is low enough behind the ears. Fasten Velcro in back. If on correctly, you will feel the grip when you rub your finger on the band backwards, and smooth when you rub your finger on the band forwards.
- Application: Hold wig upside down from nape area with both thumbs on either side of label. Raise wig up to head as if trying to hook the front of wig onto your eyebrows. Gently pull wig over the top of your head and release. Adjust hairline height by placing 4 fingers across forehead, up from brow bone. Adjust left and right sides until level. Gently style.
- Wig Tape Tabs: For extra hold, sew in plastic tape tabs on the inside of the wig and attach double-sided tape to them. This will hold the wig to your scalp. Note application for without hair
Top 5 Ways to Care for Tape Hair Extensions
1) Wash & Condition with Care
When shampooing their tape hair extensions, it is important that they tilt their head back and gently massage from the top of the head downwards. With tape hair extensions, it is important not to pull too much or scrub too hard. Doing so can create a matting or clumpy appearance and take away from the natural look.
When applying conditioner, recommend avoiding the root area of their tape extensions and to apply only to the middle and ends of the hair. You may also want to suggest a leave in conditioner spray to maintain softness and lessen tangles.
2) Dry without the Damage
- Now that the tape hair extensions have been cleansed properly, it’s time to dry! Instead of drying in a scrubbing motion, encourage your clients to wrap their hair in a towel to remove the initial moisture. If using a blowdryer, it’s important to keep the heat at a medium temperature to avoid heat damage on their own hair and the tape hair extensions. Once the tape hair extensions are about 50% dry, brushes and other hair styling tools can be used for styling.
3) Brush from the Bottom Up
- Your clients should brush their tape hair extensions about 2-3 times a day. When brushing to detangle, it is important they start removing tangles at the bottom of the hair and then work their way up. Make sure they know to brush their natural hair with the tape hair extensions to avoid unnecessary pulling. It’s important to use a brush that is designed to detangle near the tape attachment without affecting the adhesive, like Diva Divine’s Loop Hair extension brush
4) Use Hot Styling Tools Sparingly
- While curling irons and straighteners can be used on your client’s tape hair extensions, it’s vital to keep heat away from the tape attachment as much as possible. While the tape hair extensions are real human hair, they are not based from the root and therefore do not hold the same oils and nutrients as their natural hair. The more heat used on the extensions for styling, the less time they will last. If heat is necessary, just remind your clients to use a lower setting.
5) When All Else Fails, Ask Your Stylist!
- Whether it’s for a maintenance appointment or the latest styling product – it’s important that your clients know that they can always come to you for their hair needs. There are always ways to better maintain the health and longevity of your clients’ tape hair extensions. The more helpful and informative you are, the more likely your clients are to recommend you to their friends.
Now that your clients have their beautiful hair extensions installed, you can help to keep them looking fresh with these tips. If you’re looking to offer Diva Divine’s renowned hair extensions in your salon, get started by signing up for our certification courses today.